Featured City of the Week: Surprise, AZ
Surprise rests in the sunny Sonoran desert of Maricopa County, Arizona. In 1938, Surprise only consisted of a gas station and a few houses on a one mile square piece of land. Flora Mae Statler and her husband, real estate developer Homer C. Ludden, took the land and subdivided it to provide affordable land for agricultural workers. Surprise officially became a city in the year 1960.
Today, Surprise is a 74-square mile community, located only 45 minutes from downtown Phoenix. The city is surrounded by gorgeous scenery including mountainous parks, a regional lake and, of course, the Sonoran desert. Because of the family friendly environment, recreational opportunities, warm weather and affordable land, Surprise is a great place to live and work. People have obviously taken notice because the population exploded 281% in just ten years! The rapid growth has made Surprise the second fastest-growing municipality in the Phoenix metro area. Along with the gorgeous surroundings, homes are also moderately priced and property taxes are among the lowest in the state.
The following are some fun things to do in the sunny city of Surprise:
- Watch spring training of the Kansas City Royals and the Texas Rangers.
- Play racquet sports at Surprise Tennis and Racquet Complex, awarded Outstanding Facility of the Year by the USTA. They also host professional tennis events throughout the year.
- Get out of the heat and enjoy the 10,562-square-foot Aquatics Center.
- Visit the White Tank Regional Park for a popular, family friendly hike and view of a rare desert waterfall.
- Play a round of golf on any of the eight championship golf courses.
- For exciting, adrenaline pumping action, checkout the nearby Speedworld Dragstrip.
Surprise residents enjoy year round sunshine, clean, safe neighborhoods and a friendly community. The area is also attracting new jobs and sustainable energy industries. It’s such a great place to live that, 9 of 10 residents would recommend the community for living and raising a family. If you are interested in purchasing affordable land in Surprise, browse AllAcres.com for listings of land for sale in the area. Call AllAcres at (855) 227-3741 or contact us online. We would be more than happy to locate a piece of affordable land in Surprise for you and your family.